STROMECTOL (Ivermectin) is an anthelmintic agent designed for oral administration, created through a process of semisynthesis. This compound is derived from the avermectins, which belong to a class of potent broad-spectrum, anti-parasitic agents that are obtained from the fermentation products of Streptomyces avermitilis. When used according to recommended guidelines, Stromectol tablets for humans is considered safe. The tablets are ingested to address cases of intestinal strongyloidiasis and onchocerciasis, which are tropical infections resulting from parasitic worms. Additionally, topical applications of ivermectin 12mg are sanctioned for treating head lice and rosacea. In the adult population, Stromectol ingredients is generally acknowledged as a safe medical intervention. Studies have demonstrated that higher and more frequent Stromectol dosage for humans than those approved by the TGA (Therapeutic Goods Administration) are also well-tolerated. Notably, a study involving dose escalation revealed that administering up to ten times the maximum FDA-approved dose of 200 micrograms per kilogram did not lead to any adverse effects.
What is ivermectin Stromectol for?
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has granted approval for the use of ivermectin 12mg in addressing tropical illnesses such as onchocerciasis and helminthiasis (worm infections). Furthermore, it finds application in treating other conditions like pubic and head lice, as well as scabies (an itchy skin infestation caused by mites). Notably, it has shown effectiveness in aiding patients with type 2 rosacea, a condition characterized by red bumps or pustules on the face, often due to Demodex mites. Additionally, ongoing clinical trials are exploring the potential of ivermectin 12mg to reduce malaria transmission by eliminating the mosquitoes responsible for spreading the infection. In selected regions, STROMECTOL (Ivermectin) is administered as a single annual dose to combat infectious diseases like filariasis. It is widely utilized for managing parasitic infections and is generally well tolerated.
What is Stromectol made from?
The product called Stromectol, commonly known by its brand name, consists of ivermectin 12mg as its main active component, which comes in different strengths. The Stromectol ingredients includes 3-mg tablets that incorporate the subsequent inactive ingredients: microcrystalline cellulose, pregelatinized starch, magnesium stearate, butylated hydroxyanisole, and citric acid powder (anhydrous). Ivermectin 12mg is classified as a prescription medication and is available in the form of oral tablets, topical cream, and topical lotion.
How many mg of Stromectol should I take?
STROMECTOL (Ivermectin) is administered based on the patient’s weight and may vary depending on the patient and the specific condition being treated.
- For Intestinal Strongyloidiasis: The advised dosage is a single oral dose of 200 micrograms per kilogram.
- For Wucheria Bancrofti: The recommended Stromectol dosage for humans is a single oral dose every 6 months, ranging from 150 to 200 micrograms per kilogram. In endemic areas where treatment is given once every 12 months, the suggested dose is 300 to 400 micrograms per kilogram.
- For Scabies: The suggested dosage is a single oral dose of 200 micrograms per kilogram.
It’s crucial to diligently follow all instructions provided by your doctor. These instructions may differ from the details mentioned in this informational leaflet.
How long does ivermectin work in the body?
STROMECTOL (Ivermectin) has a notable presence in the body over an extended period.
- In the bloodstream, its effects can endure for as long as 18 hours.
- Within the digestive system, its persistence is even more extended. It can remain active in the intestines for up to 12 days, consistently exhibiting its antiparasitic properties.
It’s important to acknowledge that individuals with liver or kidney conditions experience altered metabolism of Ivermectin 12mg. As a result, its presence in the system is prolonged, particularly in those affected by liver and kidney diseases.
What does ivermectin do to your brain?
STROMECTOL (Ivermectin), an avermectin acaricide, functions by disrupting the activity of certain ligand-gated chloride ion channels within the scabies mite. This disruption leads to a sustained opening of these channels. Although the precise target within the scabies mite’s system remains unidentified, it’s hypothesized that ivermectin 12mg prompts an excessive release of the neurotransmitter gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) within the parasite’s nervous system, ultimately leading to its demise.
Due to variations in ligand-gated chloride ion channel expression during different life stages of the parasite’s cycle, the effectiveness of ivermectin 12mg might not extend to all stages of the mite.
On the other hand, permethrin operates by interfering with the sodium channel current, which results in delayed repolarization, causing paralysis and eventual death of the mite. Because sodium channels are present throughout the mite’s life cycle, permethrin remains effective against all stages of the parasite’s development. Resistance to Stromectol ingredients may arise from alterations in chloride ion channels induced by exposure, impacting the binding affinity of ivermectin 12mg.
Is ivermectin an antifungal?
No, STROMECTOL (Ivermectin) is not classified as an antifungal medication. It falls under the category of antiparasitic drugs known as avermectins. Stromectol tablets for humans functions by immobilizing and eradicating specific parasites, including parasitic worms and insects. It is commonly employed to manage infections caused by parasitic worms, such as onchocerciasis (river blindness) and intestinal strongyloidiasis, as well as infestations like scabies.
In contrast, antifungal medications are purposefully designed to combat fungal infections that result from various types of fungi. These medications are tailored to hinder the growth of fungal cells, thus controlling or eradicating the infection.
It is crucial to use the appropriate type of medication according to the nature of the infection. If you suspect a fungal infection, it is advisable to seek medical guidance to ascertain the suitable treatment.
What is the best way to take oral ivermectin?
- Adhere to all instructions provided on your prescription label. Refrain from consuming Stromectol in quantities larger or smaller than recommended, and do not extend its usage beyond the recommended duration.
- Administer Stromectol tablets for humans on an empty stomach, ensuring a minimum of 1 hour before or 2 hours after a meal. Typically, Stromectol is administered as a single dose. Consume this medication with a full glass of water.
- For effective infection treatment, it may be necessary to take STROMECTOL (Ivermectin) once more, spanning several months to a year following your initial dose.
- Individuals with a compromised immune system, resulting from illness or specific medications, might require more than one Stromectol dosage for humans. Some with weakened immune systems may need regular and ongoing consumption of this medication, following their doctor’s guidance.
- Regular submission of stool samples might be requested to ascertain the efficacy of this treatment.
- Maintain storage of this medication at room temperature, shielding it from moisture and heat.